HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Va.. Hows everyones season going?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2003, 02:14 PM
eng40sqd
Fork Horn

Default Va.. Hows everyones season going?

Well we are now in the second week of regular archery season here in the Old Dominion, and I was wondering how eveyones season was going so far..

My season... well it started off slow but then.. I have had some interesting and heartbreaking action. I will start with the evening that I sat in my stand and watched a very very nice 8 point feed over toward me then stay under my stand for awhile (under 10 yards at some points) presenting me with an almost endless amount of shots.. but I was holding out as there was a monster that I have been after for over 3 years following his trail and was heading right into my shooting lanes when he winded a group of does and headed toward them and decided he liked their company more.. go figure lol. Needless to say the 8 had gone out of range!

The heartbreak of the year would have been this past Sat. I had been on stand all afternoon when about an hour before dark a nice spike(very big body and about 8" spikes) walked out to my grunts and presented a nice broadside shot. I took it and listen to him run off and crash. I waited awhile go out and got my arrow which was covered in blood. I stepped off the logging road toward where he headed and jumped him... there was a huge amount of blood..most I think I have seen in one spot. I went out and called for my brother to come help seeing as it was close to dark and a long drag! Well he got there and it was raining by then. I trailed it for 2 hours in the dark in the rain .. he kept running a zig zag course. and lost all blood when it started to rain heavily. I went back sunday at daybreak with 5 other people and we searched until 4 pm and I only found one other spot colagugated(spelling?) blood and a few hairs... we did not find him.. I was sick to my stomache and still sorta am. I have lost a few others before in my 20+ years in the woods and always have felt bad. But this would have been my first bow kill so it was that much harder to loose an animal I know is dead from all the signs.

So anyway how is it going for you guys???