HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How close is too close?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 06:00 AM
PREDATE
Typical Buck

With the corn coming down soon, I personally would want to be tucked up in the woods edge. I'd say that twisted, gnarled brush would be perfect to set up in. A natural blind is usually always best. Maybe you could cut a shooting lane or two. In my opinion, a haybale blind next to a corn-patch doesn't quite sound right. Sure they might get a little used to it in a couple of weeks, but maybe not enough to come right up to it. Setting up right in their trail is taking a chance of them getting spooked. Also, don't forget that with the rut coming on, the bucks will be cruising around in search of does. So that means, if you keep the does comfortable they will lure in the bucks for you. The does will come there to feed and the bucks will come there for romance! Bucks run hard during the rut so don't expect them to come feeding down the edge, cuz that's the last thing on their minds! That edge sounds right for a mock scrape w/ a licking branch above it. If you can, try to get back in the edge 15/20 yards and find a couple of spots to shoot out. You will be able to see out and draw your bow before he steps into your shooting lane. Just try your best and good luck! Can you describe the area a little more?