HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ultimate Elk Cartridge?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 03:09 AM
Blackelk
Typical Buck

They said ultimate elk rifle and listed a bunch of magnums. I wasn't being outrageous. If it's going to cost multiple dollars per round and some serious bullet weight. Might as well consider most of those guns have a break too.. Might as well go with a serious hog of a cartridge. I never killed a thing with the 378 Weatherby before I sold it. I didn't even think that I needed it for anything in North America. Just for clarification.

In previous posts I've stated I'm pretty much a standard classic cartridge guy. One of my favorite elk calibers is the 270 win always will be. Truly there's not much need for anything over a 300 WM for anything up to 500-600 yard shots. Elk are not tough just some people seem not to shoot them in the right place and end up thinking they need monster guns to put an elk down. And if someone's favorite elk cartridge burns 90 grains of powder or more everytime they pull the trigger well I guess that's their money not mine. It boils down to don't take uncertain shots and know your gun well.