HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Off Topic - STRANDED!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

When I was a younger man, I often times did not use common sense to the best of my ability. I was hanging out with a crazy man, one evening. He is one of my best friends actually. He'd been drinking, but was not too bad. And he wanted to show me where he was working back in the woods. I was sober as I do not drink alcohol.

Well he talked me into going for a ride off road up to his site, in his 4 wheel drive truck. I figured we'd be ok, as long as we stayed on the logging roads. We were back in the woods, when he turned off on a skid trail. Now believe me, a skid trail is fine for a skidder, or other logging equipment, but not the best place for a truck.

We drove further in, even though I protested his decision to do so. We came to a place that was washed out pretty bad from logging equipment and he decided he could get through it with his truck. I told him not to try. Next thing you knew, we were buried up past the axles and there was no getting out.

Well it was cold that night, and I do mean cold. Being that I had no plans to go into the woods, I was not dressed for cold weather as I should have been. Being stuck, we had to walk out of course, in the dark. We walked for a long ways before reaching the highway. I was shivering uncontrollably by this point. Probably on the verge of hypothermia. But we finally made it to a little country bar of all places.

I drank some nice hot coffee, and he arranged for a friend to come and get us. I demanded a ride to my truck and no where else. Or there was a good chance of violence. I was a little upset actually about the entire incident because it could have been avoided.

There were other times too, but I will not go into them.