HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Dog ~ Time to start training!
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Don Fischer
Fork Horn

You would find if you got around serious pointing dog people that have done a lot of dogs that they will not recommend Wolter's book. I had it years ago and threw it away. Wolter's was a retriever guy as I understand it, probably true as Gene Hill spent a lot of time with him on the book and Gene was a retriever man. The story I've heard most about it is that he got a setter to train and write a book on training pointing dogs, would not suprize me. My guru is Delmar Smith. "The Best Way to Train Your Bird, The Delmar Smith Method x Bill Tarrent. I think it's still avaliable on his site or maybe on his sons, Rick Smith. I got his book and followed it all the way thru with my first pointing dog, a Shorthair. That was years ago and though I still use the basic system I have made changes here and there that work for me.

You have a very nice looking dog there and sounds like she's coming along fine. She is pretty big, do you know the blood line? The biggest ones I had made 60#, they were males. My females all ran around 45#. Mine were Moesgarrd Breeding with a bit of Radback blood.

I've had some pretty nice pointer's but they were horseback dogs except for one "Double Cross Slim" dog. Started pointing dogs with Shorthairs though. At this time I have two setter's and just finished working with a rescue shorthair for a friend.

Rescue shorthair, "Duke"

Squirt, my oldest by two weeks

Bodie is my super star.

A couple other books that get good marks are George Hickox book and Maurice Lindsey's book. I've never read either but know a little of Maurice thru Pointing Dog Journal, he is a member there. I know people that swear by the Perfection Videos and they aren't real bad, I have seen them and they will work. There's also a big following for the "Huntsmith" stuff. That would be Rick Smith, Delmar's son. I have not seen any of his stuff. He does a lot of seminars around the country.

Don't worry about teaching your dog to sit. I teach all of mine to sit long before I whoa train them. If your dog is sitting on whoa training, it's confused and sit is a safe posture to take, generally means your not doing whoa work right. Be cautious of the wing on a string game. Nobody can resist that but it could lead to a dog wanting to sight point. If you keep doing it I would suggest you use a small rag rather than a wing, no bird scent on the rag. And speaking of scent, not many, most agree that they do little good. They claim they don't really smell like the bird their supposed to smell like. I have used bird scent but gave it up years ago.

In my opinion, the best money you can spend is on a pigeon loft and a few pigeons and on a remote release trap. The traps are relatively expensive but Lion Country Supply sells one in their own name that you can get a single trap set up for right at $200. Over the years I have had the Wag Ag set, out of business now, a set made by R&R Farms in the south east, they lasted me a bit over 20yrs. I recently gave them away as they were getting pretty old and not working well any more. I've also used the E-Z traps and found they didn't have near enough range. Could be the set I used was a bad set as that is the trap Perfection Kennels uses. You will see in their video where for some reason it does not work! They left it in hoping no one would notice. Not a big thing, just goes to prove you can make mistakes and over come them.

Last edited by Don Fischer; 09-28-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: correct spelling