HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Venison Tenderloin (or backstrap) recipe
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 04:44 PM
halfbakedi420
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Here's one I like. Take a 6" to 10" length of back strap. Using a fine blade, extra sharp knife, such as a fish filleting knife, slice the strap along the axis at a thickness of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. This creates a "sheet" of back strap, 6" to 10" wide. the thinner it is sliced the longer the sheet will be. I find 1/2 inch about right. Place a layer of finely chopped purple onion, shallots, fresh garlic, and belle pepper on the entire sheet of meat. Sprinkle to taste with salt and pepper (I use a Cajun shake). Roll the sheet back up and tie it up in several places along the length with cotton chord. Rub the out side with any seasoning that you like or just leave it bare. Slow cook over charcoal at about 250 deg., with a soup can of water next to the back strap(s). This will keep the back strap(s) moist. Remove from grill when done to your preference (rare, medium, well). I have found that 45 min., turning the strap about every 10 minutes, is about right for medium rare. Remove form the grill and take off the cotton string. Slice across the roll about 1 1/2" thick. This creates a 1 1/2" thick spiral of meat and cooked veggies. Looks good and tastes great.

if ya have the magic charcoal that burns at 250*, then ya got it...but 45 mins over charcoal even at 2 inches thick is way to much..140 internal temp is what you are looking for....it should appear to be rare inside, but it will be done...if it is brown all the way through, or even an inch, its over cooked.