HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Barnes TSX or TTSX for deer?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 08:40 PM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
Devil Advocate here in regards to the lighter/faster arguement. Yes lighter has faster MV, however it also sheds its speed faster and more suspect to drift. Really making it less at ranges where ballistic advantages really matter. I use to follow the religion of load me light and hot, now I load heavier. Ballistically at ranges exceeding 300 yards the heavier bullet is better. Don't believe me though ask any long range, shooter or BR guy what they load, makority will be on the heavier side for caliber. Not busting chops just saying.
No offense taken skeet, but you're talking about punching paper vs game hunting. If i were shooting 10round groups at 1000yds YES id want the 180-200grnrs. But we're talking about 1-2 quick shots max at game and faster means less drop and less compensation for such drop. (as for drift thats a toughy regardless, i dont recommend shooting animals at 400+ yds with anything over 10 or so mph crosswinds. But again speed helps that as well, the less time in flight a bullet spends traveling, the less time wind has to push it around)

Sure weight also retains velocity better but any 150grn .30cal driven over 3000fps isn't going to be lacking for "power" on a simple deer to begin with! I am convinced penetration is MORE important than energy or the proverbial "shock" and the TSX doesnt require weight to achieve deep penetration.