HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team 9 Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Boogeyman24
Fork Horn

Hi all,

Good luck to those of you heading out this weekend. nice pictures j, good luck putting one on the ground.

I was out this Saturday & Sunday PM. Long story long Saturday I sat in the "sw" stand (funny enough, nothing to do with southwest) which is the same stand I was in last saturday seeing the 3 bug bucks. This time I saw the wide 10pt I posted pictures of (when he was in velvet) on the opposite end of the field, and an even bigger 10 point - wider, taller, heavier - a bruiser (not the wide 10pt i have in the night pictures, though).

Seeing as twice I saw big bucks in the opposite corner, Sunday I put up a stand in that corner in a tiny little tree. Sure enough an hour before dark and out comes that 10pt - almost what I feared. There he is 30 yards away broadside, but do I shoot right away or see if the bigger guy who was always behind him comes out too?

I figured i would wait a little (greedy, i know) and it sure seemed like the bigger one would follow him (he was looking back into the woods, eating, calm, etc). All of a sudden the 10pt looks straight at me, stares for a few seconds, then bolts 20 yards into the woods. He stares at me for a minute or so, and off he goes. Of course, the bigger one never comes out.

My little brother was sitting in the "sw" stand that I was in the previous two times, and he hit a little 4pt - unfortunately the hit was high and there was very little blood and we weren't able to find him.

All in all nothing on the ground yet, but a pretty crazy first few weeks. I won't be back this weekend, so strategy will have to shift to up on the ridges. Pulled a card and looks like there was at least 1 big guy moving around during light, I'll try and post picts later this week.