HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Bike man
Spike

About the unlimited bucks. It has been clearly (crystal clear) communicated to me and about 300 other hunters in the program that we can take unlimited bucks. During the regular season we must use our 3 buck tags. After the three buck tags are used, then we can use DPOP tags on the bucks. Out side of the regular season we can use DPOP tags to take bucks. There is some kind of special arrangement between the Fairfax County Police Department and the DGIF. These DPOP bucks are checked in using different procedures than with the DPOP doe. I want to let you know that very few bucks are being shot under this program. I am guessing here, but last year a group (50 hunters) took about 50 deer and only about 3 were bucks. And last year there was a 3 doe quota per buck. I am in two groups and I took 7 does and no bucks last year.

There are other situation where a hunter can shoot more than 3 bucks. As of 4 years ago I had a friend that had a nursery and had a damage control permit to shoot bucks. I could have taken a buck on his property at any time (except Sunday) during the spring or summer. Another situation where unlimited bucks can be taken is the police do sharp shooting at night.

In the park hunts the additional bucks can be taken because it is sanctioned by the police department just like sharp shooting is sanctioned by the police. We are hunting under the authority of the police to reduce the deer herd.