HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ok, Ok, Ok throughly confused
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Brknarrow1970
Nontypical Buck

Default Ok, Ok, Ok throughly confused

All of this is realtively new to me as stated, and I am even more confused now... I have very limited experirnce with BP hunting but it is a route that I have chosen because I can no longer bowhunt -nerve issues, with that being said I killed a doe with a buffalo ballet in a .50 cal renegade I had - she stiffened up and dropped - Based on the responses - some say anything less than a .54 cal is RB is going to lead to some difficult tracking, I hunt in bear country in NC and want the best accuracy and quickest take down I can achieve . I have read and re-read several pages of this forum in detail looking to steer myself in the right direction, I like the appeal of the PRB but if it is going to lead to diificult track and I can track with the best of them been bowhunting 20 plus years, the .50 round ball may not be my best option in thick woods according to some, then there are die-hard saying it will kill anything in NA and I am sure it will but I hunt alone and dont wanna spend half the night in bear infested woods trailing. So the way I see it now are two options find a heavy lead conical that the 1:48 likes and use that in my .50's or purchase a LRH from GM in one of the 3 calibers they offer and shoot some type of sabot of which I have absolutely no experience, hell maybe I asked to many questions but have myself in an utter state of confusion and a month to go till the season opens, I do appreciate the PM's and the time you folks have taken to answer my questionsSo here is another In my shoes with limited experience but wanting to put whitetails down quick should I use the 1:48 and find the conicals it likes or Purchase the LRH and seek out the best load - and use a sabot - which caliber would you choose and why, I have a ton of .50 cal supplies