HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thinking about a golden retriever for Grouse/Family Dog
Old 09-18-2011, 07:44 AM
NEK
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=Doc E;3849148]High level Hunt Test titles certainly don't bear that out.
You are confusing trainabillity with intelligence - they are two different things.
My Labs were much easier to train, for obedience and to hunt. They are more tractable and don't think for themselves like a golden will.
Have you ever owned a Golden? As a breed - they will never equal the Labs in the field for pure hunting enthusiasm - and energy and ease of training, but - if you are not too harsh in your training of a Golden and give it time to figure things out - you will have an amazing partner at home and in the field.
I am just a hunter - not a High Level Hunt tester or field trialer - I have no interest in those things. My only interest is in a dogs nose and ability to find birds close enough for me to shoot. My female Golden did that to perfection - (my standards - not High level hunt test standards) plus she was a perfect, well behaved companion. For all the time I owned her - I worked 12 hour shifts. And from the time she was 6 months old, she had the run of the house - alone - for those 12 hours and she never once chewed up anything that wasn't hers or made a mess in the house unless she was sick.
As I said - this is just one mans opinion from my own experience with a few dogs I owned.