HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Negavtive Posts
Thread: Negavtive Posts
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 AM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

My problem is that I'm not going to recommend a poor product to someone on here asking about what they should use. Especially a new guy. Where some of the guys on here clearly will recommend a crappy product because they get that item free in return for recommending it.

If no one tells him that there are much better products, that new guy is going to listen to the person that chimes in pushing that product, not knowing that he may be pushing it because he is compensated, and he is going to use it. When he has a bad experience it's going to turn him against muzzle loaders all together or maybe even hunting, which I don't want.

For example a friend uses Power Belts and refuses to use anything else. Every deer he shoots he has trouble finding from a lack of a blood trail. We have tried to talk him into try something else, as most all of the rest of us in the hunting group have switched, yet he refuses to try anything else since that's what the guys at the store that sold him his muzzle loader told him would work best in it. Instead, he tells everyone that will listen how when you shoot a deer with a muzzle loader, you just don't get a blood trail, or how often you lose deer when shooting them with a muzzle loader. This kind of thing happens more than I care to admit, and when someone is looking for advice, I'm going to be honest about the product with them. If it's a good product I will make sure I tell them that, if it's a bad product, I'm not just going to be quite so that they only hear the good side from the guys receiving free products from that company.

Now, this being said, 99% of the people on here are great guys, and this isn't an issue with them as they seem to be honest and give good reviews of products along with being willing to help. So this isn't a big issue on this forum for me, but it is a small issue with a very small portion of this site. It's been a much bigger issue on other sites however.