HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lack of bucks on trail cam - adjust hunting plans??
Old 09-07-2011, 03:50 AM
jrbsr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
What would you do about this situation?

I have scouted and am very familiar with one property in my hunt club. There are two other properties which are further from my home, but I am not familiar with them at all in terms of where the deer movement is.

On the familiar property I saw more bucks last year than I have ever seen in a hunting season. It is 700 acres and I saw at least 6 different bucks. This year I am using a trail camera for the first time and I only have one small buck on camera. The camera has been out for about six weeks in two different locations and I have about 1000 pictures of raccoons, does, foxes, and coyotes, but only one small buck.

Reading this forum I have heard other guys say they didn't get any bucks on camera until late September last year.

So what I am debating is whether I should move properties based on lack of buck pictures. The other two properties are about 2 hours from my home, whereas the one I have been scouting is about an hour, which is a big difference for me. Also, there are only three more weekends before the archery season opener, so there is very limited opportunity to scout and use the camera to see what is on the properties.

What do you think?
Is your trail camera close to the deers trail?
If its not put it about 15 to 20 foot from their trail.
Then pour some Deercane in front of the trail cam.
I have mine in between two deer trails that run parrale with each other, about 20 feet from each other.
It started out just does, then the bucks started showing up.
These are from April 2011,

This next one is a good one.

Now these are from August 30th, to September 4th - 2011,

Last edited by jrbsr; 09-07-2011 at 03:57 AM.