HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - PA/NY twin Tiers ..Albion NY
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Venator2
Banned

Originally Posted by eng40sqd
Hey there everyone,

We are looking pretty hard at moving to the twin tier area or up toward the Albion NY areas.

I have a few questions -

1. what is the overall hunting like in the tiers as well as the Albion area?

2. what is gaining access like in the both areas ( I am not against joining a group/club as that is about the only way here to secure decent hunting land and I have been involved in clubs for 30 years (since I was 7)

3. what about season length and bag limits ny vs pa

I am sure I have more but these are a start...

Thanks ahead of time for any information

Justin
I live just off 31 about 30 miles east of Rochester and same distance from lake as Albion. You probably know there is plenty of farm land and a little decent interface, especially if you live there, and you will do fine.
Average buck will run about 125-130 lbs. I hunted here for about 50 years and the biggest I have ever got was 209 lbs. I usually get two doe permits also. Easily filled if you are into that.
I used to love Pheasant and Grouse but you will need, probably, to go midstate or Southern Tier. I used to hunt around Seneca lake. Pheasants are only found easily in state areas. Anywhere else you need a good pointer or Spaniel. The duck hunting appears good around Sodus and Wolcott here. I never got involved but....I would guess Albion is good also.
There is a lot of country near western and eastern Penn. borders and I suspect that would be real good also for Grouse or deer.
As for Penn hunting all I know is what I read on here and there is a lot of complaining. I used to have buddies years ago and I understand the hunting was great there.
The lake is nice if you do fishing. I also been there and done that. If you are going to venture out far make sure you got a enough boat to get off in a hurry. Ontario can get nasty quick.