HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Still Hunting With A Bow
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 09:52 AM
KCMO Cityboy
Fork Horn

Last year while I was sitting in a tree I spotted a couple of bucks sparring about 380 yds (rangefinder) away. The larger buck ran off the other one and then he bedded down. All I could see was his antlers. I hopped down from the tree, removed my boots (the wind was in my favor, thankfully) and stalked up to him. Was able to spot him at about 80 yards, marked his location with some nearby trees, and then crept up using some tall grass as cover. When I got to where I thought he was, thinking I was about 20 yds away I could not find the guy anywhere. I was going bonkers knowing he was close by. Kept trying to visualize where he would be based on the previous spot. He had to be on the otherside of the tall grass so I stood up a bit taller to see him. Not there. I sunk back down and then I actually heard the buck exhale through his nose. He had to be 5 feet in front of me! My heart started racing and I started to position myself further away. As I backed away that other buck that I had lost sight of popped up about 40 yds away (cuz he could see me!) and off ran the big buck. I was only able to draw back but no shot was offered. That stalk was FUN!!!