HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Marlin Lever Action
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Thanks for the response ruger357w. I bought it mostly for a plinker/home defense gun. But I wouldn't mind carrying it when cruising for deer in the thick stuff. I figure it's maybe a 125 yard deer gun with the right bullet.

What load were you using when you shot that deer, and what kind of results did you get.

Did you stick with the original buckhorn sight? I'm thinking of putting a ghost ring on mine.
A good option on the Marlins, if you're so inclined, is adding the XS ghostring sight set from midway. I also installed a tang mounted marbles peep sight for longer range shots. For close cover, I use the ghost ring sights, for longer work, I flip up the tang peep and I'm all set. I also have a scope rail installed on this rifle (a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun) most of the year, with a tip-off QD red dot sight. I also have QD rings on a 3-9x scope that is sighted in for that rifle, but it's rare that I ever take it afield. Basically, I have 4 sighting options that I can swap between in a matter of seconds, depending on my hunt.

I don't know if they make one for the 1894, but for the 1895, XS makes an extended optics rail that comes with an XS ghostring rear sight machined right into the rail itself. That would be much handier than having the sight, then the optics rail mounted separately (which is what I have, except my rail is about 1/3 the length).