HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .243 wssm?
Thread: .243 wssm?
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
they feed well, when the action cycles once the casehead clears the feed lips of the mag, the bullet is started in the chamber, not much else it can do. if ya want a 25wssm in an AR its pretty much a reload proposition, 1 factory load out of 4 is all that will fit the mag.
Not just a barrel swap, ya need a bolt, barrel extension and the upper needs some mods.
RR
What upper mods need to be done? I was somewhat expecting to need to open the ejection port, but I'm not 100% sure that's a necessity.

I'm having a BIT of trouble finding a "real" barrel maker, Shilen and Krieger won't make them. Dedicated Technology MIGHT. At any rate, I'm planning to buy a matched/headpaced bolt and barrel, with the extension already installed. I reloaded every shot fired from the 6.8 SPC, so reloading (deep setting) the .25 WSSM wouldn't be much of a change of pace. Kinda sucks that WSSM brass is only available from Winchester (and half of THAT is nickel plated).

So I may be stuck going back to another 6.8 SPC. I'd really like to step it up a notch and extend the range of my favorite AR, but I'm getting fits trying to get the ducks in a row!