HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are they realy doing our sport justice???
Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I hunt with a crossbow. I destroyed my shoulder in the Army in the late 90's and had it completely rebuilt in 99. I had not been in the woods in a couple years when I found out I could get a doctor's note and use a crossbow. I was jazzed. Years before that I used a second hand PSE laser magnum compound bow. I was nearly as accurate with that as I am with the crossbow. I had more range by a darn sight with a bow than a crossbow. The arrows are shorter and therefore drop like a frickin stone. I also bought the cheapest crossbow I could find. A horton Steel force. I've taken about 5 deer with it ...maybe 6. My largest Buck was taken with it last year...but the does are tastey and I would be just as happy with them. I have to get closer than when I used a compound Bow.
I also hunt with Muzzle Loader (last year was the first time), rifle and shotgun. When I first started using the crossbow, a conventional bow was out of the question. The shoulder just wasn't stable enough to pull it back. The new bows on the market are super nice and I could probably learn to use one of those...but they are also super expensive so I'll stick with my crossbow.
Bait isn't legal in my state, but if it was I'd probably put it out in some of the places I hunt. This year we have an urban archery season in my county that adds 1 month on the front and 2 to the rear of deer season (does Only). if we are so desperate to have the does eliminated it seems baiting would be the way to go. I don't make the rules.
I have never run dogs, but they are legal in my state and are used often on the public land I rifle hunt. I've used that fact to take deer by setting up where I think they will try to escape the dogs. Some times I've been lucky and sometimes not.
I also use a shotgun with buckshot sometimes. I've taken crap on here from meat heads who think buckshot isn't fit for deer hunting. In many counties it is the ONLY firearm you can use. I'd hunt with a ball-peen hammer if that's all I could get my hands on.
Hunting isn't the same to everyone. I love getting out in the woods and learning the terrain. But I don't 'care if others don't. I've never had the pleasure of hunting over a food plot or in a corn or bean field. I hunt mostly public land with some bowhunting on my own land in a rural neighborhood. In it's pure essence hunting is killing an animal. It didn't start as a sport, it started out of hunger. And early hunters did everything they could to increase their chances. They hunted water sources and any other way they knew to kill an animal so they could eat. The bragging came later. I'm hoping to kill several deer this year. I am gonna try to cull 3 does from my area. 2 immature and one large one. All go in the freezer. Any decent bucks that I see (body size) and am allowed to shoot I will also try to take. I am not trying to grow monster trophy deer, I am just trying to thin them some....there are too many here competing for food and area. They are not getting very big. There was a 2nd year doe staring at my wife and I as we stood outside talking this evening. She couldn't have weighed much more than 70 lbs. Once hunting season starts( in 2 weeks) she will be skittish as can be so I have to make my mind up now if I want to try to cull her. I'm not too crazy about shooting a doe this early because they haven't fattened much yet.
So for me, this is what hunting is. Slipping outside a few times a week for an hour or two of morning hunting and maybe getting home from work in time to hunt at night a couple times. One legal day to hunt on the weekends during rifle season.
Hunting is killing an animal. You have to make up your mind on the ethics so long as you are working within the laws of your state.

Last edited by dpv; 08-16-2011 at 09:06 PM.