HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What type of calls?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Default What type of calls?

I've never called myself a turkey hunter, but my wife and sister have decided to take it up for this season. They're pretty well rigged out with everything they need except for calls...

Knowing nothing about turkey calls, except a LITTLE about what they should sound like (but no idea how to make them sound that way!), what type of calls would you recommend for new callers? Or should they have a few different types on hand? I don't have much experience, but I've at least handled mouth diaphrams, box calls, and slate/friction calls. My mom has what I'd call a "striker" call (triangular piece of wood with a chalky "striker") that a family friend made her, but she's never used it.

Inevitably, I'm going to have to learn how to run the calls, then teach them, so I'm looking for something that I can pick up relatively easily, then pass along effectively. (What's most LIKELY to happen is that I'm going to be stuck out there calling while they just do the shooting!)...

Also, what methods/sounds seem to be most effective at bringing them into sight, and then alternatively, what sounds do you use to bring them into range from there? I do a lot of predator calling, so I'm assuming that turkey calling will be similar in that you'll use one sound to bring them to the field, then have another sound ready to coax them further into range?