HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - WV WMA - Wayne Co
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 09:49 PM
madvilledoc
Fork Horn

To be honest, Wayne County is not that much different in quality of bucks than Ritchie County. Wayne County will probably have a slightly higher population of mature bucks than Richie (mainly due to the proximity of the four bow-only counties and the ruggedness of the landscape). On the downside, the deer population in Wayne County is much smaller than Richie County. As with most of the counties that surround the bow-only four, it is a hit or miss type proposition. In other words, a lot of luck will be needed to find a mature buck and they will be sparse.

If you are looking for a quality buck, I would strongly recommend focusing only on the four bow-only counties (Logan, Mingo, Wyoming, McDowell). You can go on nearly any ridge in any of these four counties, put up a corn feeder, and have a reasonably high probability of getting a P&Y buck on camera within a week. (I'm not kidding).

If you are looking for WMA's I would look at RD Bailey WMA in Wyoming County or the nearby (and new) Elk Creek WMA in Logan County. If you are coming into WV via Knoxville, TN, this will quicker for you to get to anyway.