HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Gun
Thread: New Gun
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 PM
huntingkidPA
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
I've got several Model 700's, and for deer hunting, I use Remington Core-Lokt ammo in all of them, except the .30-06. In that one, I use Winchester Power Points, simply because they happened to be on sale when I was on my way to the range to sight in the scope. For whitetails, you don't need anything bigger than the 150 gr, and you don't really need "premium" bullets. The heavier bullets are more suitable for larger species. The 150's are faster, shoot flatter than the heavier bullets, and recoil less, but pack plenty of punch to take down a whitetail at ranges beyond the skill set of most casual hunters.

If you feel like experimenting, I'd pick up a box of the Remington Express Core Lokt's (green box), a box of Winchester Power Points (white box) and a box of Federal Fusions. Shoot them all and opt for the one that your gun likes best.

Welcome aboard, and happy hunting!
i also think core lokts are a great choice. my rifle loves them. i think core lokts have killed way more deer than many other brands. like you said you dont need "premium bullets". high powered rifles are expensive enough to shoot. but just find a bullet your gun likes!