HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Gun
Thread: New Gun
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Crazy8
Spike

Default New Gun

Well Im not new to hunting but I am getting a new toy in 2 weeks and am very excited. I am looking to get a little advice. There is so much I dont know and am willing and wanting to learn so I am going to go ahead and ask away.

First off the new toy is a Remington 700 SPS 30-06 I plan on using it for squirrel hunting...just kidding. Im using it mainly for white tail but it may see its way to bears and such.

Q's
1) When it comes to rounds is it worth the money to get something like Winchester Ballistic Silvertips or am I just as well of saving some money and using Remington/other rounds?

2) I know "grain" is a weight measurement but what is best practice with what to use? I know some people pick the medium grain so they still get a good speed and knock down power without sacrificing to much of either.

3) Are lower grain rounds better at one thing where higher might be better used on other things?

4) I know I should spend between $300-$500 on a good scope, any recommendations as far as brands or even specific models?

5) Is it best to still stick with a 100yd zero when dialing in the scope or should it be zeroed in higher?

In case I haven't made it completely obvious this is my first rifle (other than my Ruger 10/22) so I have a lot to learn. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Much