HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Marlin 336
Thread: Marlin 336
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Developed from the Marlin Model 36. in 1948. Marlin started using a process they refer to as "micro-groove" decades ago that is touted as improving acciracy. i have had one Mod. 336 ... in 35 Rem. It shot great. The Hornady Leverlution ammo was specifically designed for use in a tube fed lever action rifle such as the Marlin 336 and Winchester Model 94. The Marlin 336's side eject makes is simple to attach a scope, where as the Model 94 requires a side mount system. There is one other often over looked advantage over the Win. Model 94. The lever pivot screw can be removed using a screw driver. This allows for the bolt-ejector assembly to be removed for easy cleaning ... and allows the barrel to be swabbed clean from the breach end. This help reduce the chance of damaging the barrell's crown. Taking a Model 94 down is a chore.

As for the 30/30 Win. round being under powered for deer hunting? I wonder how many deer this round has put in the pot ? Yes .... it is not a 400 yard deer killing machine. Muzzle velocity is not up there with the "big boys", and the flat nosed bullets that had to be used before the development of the Leverlution concept just cannot fly fast, far.

Out to 150-200 yards, the 30/30 Win. will do just fine. And I suspect that'll cover over 90% of the shots that will be taken at white tails this fall !