HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hogs with dogs
Thread: Hogs with dogs
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 08:05 AM
GTOHunter
Nontypical Buck

Most Hunters train their dogs to chase a certain type Game or Prey and if they are controled to do a certain job at specific times it helps in not scaring the Deer away and its much better than say letting some dogs loose to run all the time...that would do more harm than good in my opinion.A Friend of ours come out to the Farm in the Winter time to go Racoon Hunting,they let their 2 dogs run and whenever they would pick up the scent or chase after a racoon thats what they were trained to do and they didn't bother or chase after any other type animals....as we walked back I shined the light and saw 5 Deer bedded down in our woods,he let his dogs loose and they went up between the Deer and circled back around not bothering any of the Deer.I was impressed to see the Deer stay where they were and the dogs were trained not to chase after Deer....thats what a well trained Dog should do and the Trainer prided himself on that accomplishment!

Now when it gets closer to Deer season I wouldn't run any dogs in there for the sole purpose of just letting things settle down so the Deer move around naturally!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 07-31-2011 at 08:10 AM.