HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New .270
Thread: New .270
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 PM
gonewest
Fork Horn

Congrats to you!!!! On graduating and picking a great caliber and having good parents. I like the Savage but liked mentioned try to go to Cabella or Bass pro somewhere where you can get the feel of a few different ones. I like the Tiika also it seems to shoulder very well for me. I would try and spend as much money as I could on a good scope. Camera Land has some good deals on scopes. They had a 3x9x40 Minox for 299.00 Hard to beat the Zeiss Conquest for 399.00. You won't regret it. For ammo I reload but for the next best thing in a factory shell is Hornady Custom loads in a 130 gr. Sp. Cabellas has them right now for 19.95. Buy a couple boxes to see if they group good. If they do buy a bunch that is a great great deal. Sight in 1 1/2" high at 100 yrs and you'll be right there at 200 and just aim high on the deer if hes out at 300yds. Good luck. But really like as mentioned here "Don't get a packaged scope" You will be taking it off next yr and it might cost you a big buck. Spend at least 200 bucks on a scope. And don't go with see thru mounts. Shoot straight and let us know what you got and any more questions you have will be answered here by someone.