HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Omega Breech Plug Modification
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 AM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

Default Omega Breech Plug Modification

The X7 had been doing OK when the weather was cooler, but since it became hot, it has been unruly. With the coming of hot weather, the primers started leaking between the anvil and the cup as seen in the picture. I was used to see primers look like the ones on the right. I figured this soot was a sign of high pressure, and reduced the powder charge from 110g BH to 105g, but this didn't change the leakage around the anvil.

Long ago i noticed the Omega breech plug left a lot of the primer unsupported, compared to the Accura. The Accura' breech plug primer pocket is deeper than the Omega' breech plug primer pocket. These past hot days the primers from the Accura looked just they had looked all winter, whereas the primers from the Omega were leaking soot.

Rather than reducing the load more and more, i wondered if i could somehow surround the primer in the Omega breech plug with more steel. What i did was drill out the primer pocket, and install a 3/8" x 24 grade 8 bolt. Then i machined it to receive a primer, and allowed for more steel around the primer. The plug on the right is OEM.

Tried it out this morning, and the primers on the right in the first photo, and the target below are the result. The holes dyed green were made at 100 yard, and the other 3 at 200 yard.