HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is it just me?
Thread: Is it just me?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

With reference to revolution, this is purely hypothetical. For revolution you must first have revolting circumstances (question for the student of history: who am I obliquely quoting here?). We are not there yet, folks. What are revolting circumstances? Watching your children and parents starve to death, in the millions. Being expected to eat roots and bark every spring because the corrupt and incompetent regime cannot provide a viable agricultural or economic infrastructure.

Still, as a hypothetical . . .

If there were revolution, why would it be assumed the US soldiers would do what the US president and military hierarchy demanded of them? It is inherent in revolution that established authority is shattered. Consider the French Revolution. Consider the Algerian war of independence. If the revolution has a just cause, are US soldiers going to fire on their fellow citizens or are they going to expropriate their weapons and bring them into the service of their brothers and sisters in the revolution?

So, in a hypothetical US revolution the US military may not be effective in quelling the revolution. The next question is what effect would UN forces have. In many UN efforts, the US has formed the backbone of the effort. The UN effort in Korea 1950-1953 minus the US contribution -- about 90% of the effort in the histories I have read -- would have resulted in an easy victory for North Korea in 1950. What about other UN activities? So, you have a UN force, far from its base of supply, fighting in the US. I assume these troops are of . . . how shall I say it . . . limited committment. They are playing by the marquess of queensbury rules and don't have the same esprit de corps as French Foreign Legion troops or US Navy Seals or other elite troops. What would they confront here? If you study your history of revolutionary warfare in the 20th century -- Indochina/Vietnam, Algeria -- things can get very unpleasant for the externally imposed forces of order. In Algeria troops had their throats cut, they were disembowelled, rocks were sown back up in their body cavities, their privates were cut off and stuffed back into their mouths, Mr happy hanging out. Unless you are REALLY committed, most soldiers are going to be pretty unmotivated under these circumstances. All I'm saying is I wouldn't bet on the UN troops under these circumstances. I don't know of too many revolutionary conflicts in the second half of the 20th century that went against the revolutionaries.

But . . . all of this is hypothetical. We are far from having the kind of circumstances that would breed revolution in the US today.