HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Down to 2 Choice help me pick
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 06:57 PM
bigbulls
Boone & Crockett

Most people already have their mind made up when they ask questions like these and are typically just wanting people to agree with what they are already thinking. But I will give my recommendation any way.

From a purely functional standpoint and not a how pretty is the rifle standpoint.......

Browning rifles are mediocre at best IMHO. Though the X-bolt did improve on the A-bolt design mechanically and functionally, it still isn't a very well designed rifle. I'd take the Remington any day over the Browning.

* The tang (where the safety is located) of the Browning X-bolt is easily broken because it is a cheaply made cast aluminum part. Seen one tang get broken just taking it out of the stock.
* The magazine on the browning isn't the strongest design made. If it does come apart (I've seen a couple) good luck getting it back together.
* The bolt release plunger thing on the bolt handle is just something else to break or get stuck while you are out hunting. Why they went with that design I'll never know.

Now, if you want a real rifle look at the model 70 Winchester extreme weather.
* The model 70 has the best 3 position safety ever designed on a rifle.
* The synthetic stock on the model 70 isn't just a Tupperware stock like what comes on the 700 or the X-bolt. It is made from a composite of fiberglass, aramid fibers and graphite and epoxy gel coated with a full length aluminum bedding block.
* The model 70 has a coned breech that pretty much eliminates a round popping up and jamming against the breech face.
* The model 70's extractor is a hundred times stronger than that of the X-bolt or the 700 though the extractor in the X-bolt is a vast improvement over the A-bolt.
* The model 70's bolt can be field stripped with out any additional tools unlike either the 700 or X-bolt.
* The model 70 (and the 700) just looks a hell of a lot better than that euro-trash styled rifle that the Browning is.
* If it matters to you the model 70 (and 700) is made here in the USA.

Now for the mounts...... DNZ mounts (game reaper mounts) are the best mounting system I have used. I won't use anything else on my future rifles.