HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's the reason you hunt deer?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 AM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

None of the above...

I too, grew up hunting, could walk out the back door and hunt...I was hunting by myself by the time I was 10...

We own 3 farms, about 850 acres...We grow corn, soybeans, peanuts and wheat...We have to keep the local herd under control or we'll have no crops...For the past 20 years we have killed 40-50 deer a year, most are does and all are eaten...

I love to cook and host other hunters...A 90 pound year and a half year old doe is good eating if prepared properly...

I also bow hunt and have hunted with flintlock rifles since the 70s...This keeps the hobby interesting...

I could care less about killing big bucks...I know what needs to be killed to help keep the population in balance and I also know what type deer I prefer to eat...

I've seen guys come up to hunt that ruined the hunt for everyone else because they either missed or wounded a big buck or were dissapointed because someone else killed one and they didn't...I've also seen them come back to camp and when asked what they say they would say, "Nothing but a bunch of does"...When asked why didn't they take one they'd say "I don't eat deer and don't want to kill a doe, I want to kill a buck"...Some even kill a smaller buck when the big buck doesn't show up, passing up does in the process...

These guys have made a job out of hunting, they don't enjoy it, it's a competition to them...Hunting is a hobby, it's about enjoy nature, helping others have fun and giving back and improving habitat...It's not about killing trophys...Man started hunting for food, yet many don't eat or cook what they kill, they just want to brag about the results...

Why do I spend days in the woods in the fall??? Because I love nature...There is always plenty to watch...One afternoon last year, I climbed 20 feet up in a tree and settled in only to find that directly across from me, not 30 feet away were 2 young coons taking a nap in the crouch of a big white oak...Another morning, I watched a spider making a web in the tree I was in...That's why I hunt...