HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pen Raised Deer
Thread: Pen Raised Deer
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 05:59 AM
Alltlk4
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
Yes, it is easier to kill a buck with a compound bow than a rifle. There is only one argument against that. If the doe in the area go into heat the same time rifle season is in. I have seen it happen here and in West Virginia, but only for one day. In this state the deer are normally "stupid" only during bow season. " I want to challenge myself". What a bunch of crap that statement is. Pa. had a bow only season for years before the compound bow came along, but when the compound started to get accurate and faster, that is when a whole bunch of people wanted to "challenge" themselves. That is what High Fence hunting and compound bow hunting and early in-line muzzle loader hunting is all about. A large portion of todays "hunters" are just lazy and want to be known as hotshot hunters but just don't have what it takes so they try and buy skill. It ruins it for everybody else, but hey they got their deer.
Ok I understand what your are saying with the time of year to hunt them. I thought your point was, all things equal a it was harder to kill a deer with a rifle than a bow. I am not sure about all the factors where you hunt but for me in the past 10 years of hunting (with a compound bow and rifle) I have killed 2 with a bow and 8 with a rifle and passed on countless deer with a rifle. I find hunting with my bow very challenging. I have missed several deer and have never missed with my rifle. My sucess rate with a bow is very low. I am sure it would be even harder with traditional bow. At this time I don't see the need to make it any harder on myself. I use a compound bow because I like it. You can bash those people all you want. I know far more people that kill a deer with a rifle than a bow, that is how it is here.