HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - adjusting draw weight on hoyt bow
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 03:56 AM
nodog
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Katera
I asked my dealer at the proshop to adjust the poundage of my Hoyt Katera to about 64#. I saw that he didn't loosen the weight lock screws when he adjusted the weight.
When I mentioned that the user manual recommends to loosen the pocket locking screws before the weight adjustment, he said that it is no problem to ignore that if you make minor changes.

I thought he only said that because he didn't want to admit that he didn't know it or just forgot about it. I was worrying that it was very bad for the limbs.
But when I read your post I calmed down a bit. (I remember that he needed a lot of power to rotate the screws - I think you mentioned that it's harder to make adjustments when you forget to loosen the screws)

I didn't touch the screws on the bow since that but I wonder if it makes sense to loosen the pocket locking screws now and then immediately tighten them. Or should I only do that before the next weight adjustment (probably in winter)?
Start now and work toward next season. What you described is the kind of thing I've run across in every shop I've ever been in. Not loosening those screws is inexcusable. I'll tell you what kind of guy that was, he's the kind of guy that will force things that are not meant to be. Not the kind of person that I want working on my stuff. You'd think the second they were hard to turn he'd stop and figure out why. The limb bolts do get sticky sometimes but should turn easy after a little pressure.

The thing that ticks me off the most is bow manufactures force people to go through these shops making them the face of the company. I don't deal with companies with that face either in my professional or personal life unless there's no other option and I'm forced to, we're forced too.

Just tell yourself, if you want it done right, your going to have to do it yourself. Start now. There's is more to it than just loosening and tightening the locking screws and you don't need to do it fast.

Basically what your trying to do is get both ends to do the work equally so that neither is working against itself eating up energy and causing the arrow to eat up energy compensating for erratic flight. That takes fine tuning you never understand if all you know is locking bolts. That a baby step. The bows are made to shoot fine in baby mode but will never be as efficient as one fine tuned either in performance or and importantly noise. Vibration eats up energy and creates noise. You want the arrow to fly to it's target like a Chinese Olympic diver, not your fat mother in law doing a cannon ball.