HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pen Raised Deer
Thread: Pen Raised Deer
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

"High fence hunting" has been hammered for years. Maybe rightfully so. I am not sure. If it is a "small" place, certainly. But how large is large enough. I can buy into being inside a super large high fence area could be a "hunt", but in my opinion it would have to be 10's of thousands acres. And even then I think it would be possible to condition the deer .... loose feed stations, intentionally left standing ag, or manicured food plots , artificial watering holes .... and to more or less create a seriously "unnatural" make up of the deer herd's doe to buck ratio. I think that if you can drop the ratio of does to bucks down to 1 - 1 or even less ... 1 - 2, you create super breeding-rights competiton, resulting in a group of bucks that are very prone to responding to rattling or grunt-calls. I suspect that you NE Kansas buddy's high fence does not even approach something of this size. Which would make it a "shooting in a barrel" situation to me. And "pen raised" ? How wild are they ? I am not sure.