HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Does your gun have a clip??
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does your gun have a clip??

Well, all of my long guns have magazines, except for the single shots and double bbls, some of my handguns do too...but not many of my hunting rifles have DETACHABLE magazines. Typically, feeding is less reliable in Detach mags, sometimes this can lead to a problem with accuracy too. I don' t really know of any guns I' ve owned that rattled in the mags, although I tend not to buy magazines that aren' t new. One thing you' ve got to consider, a 5rnd magazine isn' t going to rattle, be it clip fed, box or blind mag, or a detach mag, yes, there are cheap hi-cap mags that are almost worn out out there that rattle pretty bad when half loaded, but they aren' t legal equipment for most game anyway.

Most of my rifles are lever actions, real lever actions, not cheesy " we' ve at least got to make one lever gun" models, so they' re tube mags, I' ve got several bolt guns, only one of which has a detach mag (springfield), of course all of my semi' s have detach mags, except my garands and my .22lrs.

In action types where it could go either way, I typically prefer a blind or box mag for hunting (varmints excluded), feeding is always more reliable, and when do you really need an extra round over 5rnds, let alone a whole other magazine full? That' s called " spraying and praying" , not hunting.