HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - waterfowl advice
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 04:06 AM
Hoyt HavocTec
Spike

Just one last note as far as a gun is concerned, if you're heartset on a pump and you're only going to use it for waterfowl, Id suggest getting the 887 in place of the 870. It's built from the ground up for waterfowl hunting. It's got a solid rib, to protect against rusting, and the rest of the gun is tailored to withstand anything waterfowl hunting has to throw at it. As far as cost, the 887 is very comparable to the 870, and some of the models are cheaper. They're all chambered in 3 1/2", which you actually have to pay extra for on the 870. A black synthetic 887 with 28" barrel, 3 1/2" chamber goes for $349.99, while the 870 with a 26" barrel goes for $369.99. $20 cheaper, with a 2 inch longer barrel, I don't know what they're thinking. The 28" barrel is a better option for most people for anything but turkey hunting (where you want a shorter barrel so you're not clipping every tree in the woods) because it swings a little better than the 26".

Don't get me wrong, I love my 870, but if I could trade it for an 887 I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Also, a camo gun is NOT a must for waterfowl hunting. Save yourself the $150 bucks to use on decoys, calls and any of the other expensive items that come with waterfowl hunting. If you're going to use it for turkey as well, you may want to consider the camo, but if it's strictly a duck/goose gun, I'd save the money.

Last edited by Hoyt HavocTec; 05-06-2011 at 04:14 AM.