HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - AR for defense
Thread: AR for defense
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 08:03 PM
bigtim6656
Giant Nontypical

Default AR for defense

Ok an AR platform for defense, seems to fit to me. Given in a in town house setup maybe not but for what I have I think it is the ticket.

We have some property we run part of our business out of. It has two large buildings, one around 2000SQFT of shop space, basically a garage with small offices. The other building is a row of bays for storage. In all the property is 13 acres running low and narrow and about 1500 feet long. It is also out in the country surrounded by farm land, no homes for about 1/2 mile.
We have had some issue with trespassers, and some stuff coming up missing, nothing big mainly scrap metal and crap like that, but with us moving some equipment and working out of the more, we find we have a good value of stuff sitting out there. So every night or every other night me and my buddy run out there and check things out.
Knock on wood no big issues yet. My concern is given a situation arises with the size of the property, the space between buildings and even the size of the buildings carrying a handgun alone might not be the best of ideas.

My thought is a AR platform rifle in either a 5.56 or 7.62x51 chamber, 16 inch barrel, vert handg rip, good sight is the way to go. My thought was 20 inch barrel 7.62 since I would get more knock down, longer range and such, but I am leaning toward the 5.56, since it is a lighter, shorter rifle, plus any defense situation I get into ant going to be out to 200+ yards so the 5.56 would be more then enough.

One concern is if I am walking to the main building which is a 50 yard walk through open parking lot(dark parking lot) and someone was to open fire(be surprised how often it happens in our area) I would be screwed with the handgun, sure I can get good groups at 20 feet to 25 yards, but in a real situation, at low or no light, the rifle would give me an advantage.

What do you guys think?