HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whats a good rifle for starters?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Mikey30067
Spike

the top highlight is funny. worn wood i wouldnt consider being beat up. and i wonder if your stock is made out of chocolate instead of wood. or maybe you have sand paper mittens. either way, ive never ever ever seen a gun that has been carried so much that the wood has worn down. the finish...maybe. the bluing, but the wood worn down, i doubt it. not even grand pappys old .32 special has worn wood.

the second highlight is just plain ignorant and proves that some ppl on here wouldnt know the differance between chit and apple sauce if they ate it w/ a spoon

skybuster your correct the wood itself is not worn down but the finish on the forearm and butt stock will diminish with every carry that is what i was referring too (worn-
showing the effects of use, wear, etc.) by that deffinition i personally consider when the finish of the wood is reduced the wood is worn, however thanks for catching my poor choice of words, wouldn't want people reading it and thinking the wood will wear down to a tooth pick by being carried

your second highlight seems ignorant i guess it is all in perspective though but a rifle that has been used for many years should NOT look as it did the day you bought it. but if you consider hunting hard going out once a year for a hour and driving right up to a blind or whatever it is that your gun wont receive any wear and you are hunting hard congrads can you fill me in on how you hunt hard or know someone that hunts hard and doesn't manage to diminish the guns brand new appearance?? i am open to the tactics because myself and i am sure others would like to keep their guns pristine or are you using a spoon full of chit more then you know it? i have never seen a hunting rifle look as it does out of the box once its been used wasn't trying to hurt anyones feelings by the comment to hunt harder so sorry if i ruffled your feathers a bit

i dont understand this. up here in maine is the thickest nastiest crap a man could hunt in w/ every type of terrain and climate imaginable and my rifles still look like they did when they come out of the box. unless you drag it behind you on a leash i wouldnt worry about it "lasting" or getting beat up. your hunting for god sakes not charging through the bushes like a damn elephant. i have a gun in the front seat of my truck year round and its not beat up at all. use the 7 mil and love that sucker! besides, 50 years from now when you grand kids are holding it they will wonder aboput each ding and dent and think about how much game that gun has killed. my 2 cents
wait i thought u said that the rifle will still look like it did out of the box? or are you buying rifles that have dings and dents out of the box?

worn wood i wouldnt consider being beat up. and i wonder if your stock is made out of chocolate instead of wood. or maybe you have sand paper mittens. either way,
seems like i got on your bad side, do you think a chocolate stock would wear even in below freezing temperatures or just when its hot out? either way would make for a nice snack on stand when i get hungry and you would be surprised sand paper mittens give you excellent grip and keep your hands toasty warm

at least we agree that the 7 rem is a nice rifle and barnes makes some great bulllets. i was just trying to help the guy out with a rifle choice. btw your rifle on top of the buck looks great how many years have you had it and what scope is that? i typically use a 760 cambered in .300 savage open sights these days but that looks like a sweet brush gun