HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The .243 Winchester
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Colorado Luckydog
Nontypical Buck

There is a range right outside of Meeker Colorado. I go there every year before our elk hunt and sometimes I just stop in during the hunt. I have made friends with a guy up there I call Preacher.(some of you guys may know him) He is just a good old dude and has been giving me advice on hunting elk since my very first hunt some upteen years ago.

At the range they have a gong at 300 yards. I have yet to see someone set out to ring that gong and not hit it. The guys at the range recommend every hunter to be able to hit it before they leave the range. I have never witnessed anyone having a problem doing so. I'm sure there are some that have a problem but most don't. I have been going there for more than 15 years.

450 yards is a lot different than 300. We all know 300 is the magic mark where most bullets start to drop like rocks. But there are a lot of guys that can make a 450 yard shot. I wouldn't condone anyone taking a shot that far if they haven't practiced that far and they sure as hell shouldn't take that shot with a .243.