HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whats a good rifle for starters?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 07:20 AM
skybuster20ga
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mikey30067
question seems odd you are not really a starter but you asked about a rifle not a caliber so im going to have to say a remmington model 7 or 700 would be my choice preferably a model 7 for the type of hunting i do which is in cover and i do a lot of walking so weight and size matter full size 700 would be nice if your not walking to far and want a longer barrel

the concern you expressed about beating up your rifle my first thought is go synthetic that way you wont worry about beating it up but i for one cant stand synthetic so i would suggest buying a used gun that you wont want to cry when you scratch it or the wood wears from everyday carry

i think its funny people saying you wont beat up your gun hunting, all of my rifles and shotguns that i carry afield have battle scars and worn wood where my hands hold the rifle, i dont throw it at trees or use it as a paddle but any gun you take afield for any amount of time will not look like it did out of the box and if it does maybe you should start hunting harder

if you were looking for a caliber which you never asked but everyone is answering all the choices are viable 25-06 270 280 30-06 are all fine versatile calibers but i would suggest sticking with the 7mm since you already have one you dont need to go out and buy more ammo

find a gun you like and fits you well and designate it as your field gun and years from now you will get enjoyment when your on stand and think about all the scars your gun has and the memorys that go with them remember glass wear is just as important as your gun choice a $1,000 gun with a pos scope doesnt help, figure into your budget and make sure you put the best glass wear on it you can

the top highlight is funny. worn wood i wouldnt consider being beat up. and i wonder if your stock is made out of chocolate instead of wood. or maybe you have sand paper mittens. either way, ive never ever ever seen a gun that has been carried so much that the wood has worn down. the finish...maybe. the bluing, but the wood worn down, i doubt it. not even grand pappys old .32 special has worn wood.

the second highlight is just plain ignorant and proves that some ppl on here wouldnt know the differance between chit and apple sauce if they ate it w/ a spoon

-Brandon