HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 8 Longbeard Mafia
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 AM
steve25
Fork Horn

Opening day in MO.

It just wasn't my day. I pulled up to an old logging road and yelped a got an answer about 100yrds out, great get all my stuff on and get after him, when I put my keys in my fanny pack I hit the panic button horns starts blowing and lights flashing. Got that turned off and waited a bit and yelped sofly and he is still there. So I am walking down the logging road and told myself when i get to that tree up there I will setup. About 20 feet before the tree he gobbles so I get up agains a tree and lightly call and he is coming right at me up the ridge he turns just before he gets in sight so I turn to where I thing he will come up and there was a hen out of no where 20ft from me. I never heard her I guess because I was so focused on the Tom. She bolts and so does he.

Then I walked out 2 miles and found a spot to just take a rest and set out the decoys and as soon as I get the decoy set up another bird starts to gobble and he would gobble at everything I done if I yelped he gobbled if I made noise in the leaves he would gobble but will not come in even when I gave him the silent treatment he was still gobbling his head off. So I try to sneek up on him and move and I seen him struting at about 70yrds he got as close as 40yrds but it was just to thick and to top it off when he left with is hen they went right where I was setup before.

I had to other birds that just refused to come in.

I didn't get a turkey but I sure did have a blast other than the walk back to the truck.