Thread: New reloader
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Pawildman
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
I got the kit in the mail the other day and had some spare time this afternoon. I read through some stuff on the internet and through the RCBS die instructions. Once I got started it was much simpler than what I thought it would be.

I set up a little book shelf and clamped it on there to practice setting up the dies. After doing that I figured I would try a case and step through the process. I now have the first ever bullet made by me (without the powder). I was able to set the dies up so when I am ready to start manufacturing they will be ready.

After that I played around with the powder dispenser and scale. I think I see what most people have a digital scale.

How close do the powder measurements have to be? I was getting about a .3 gr difference from each dump.
... +/- .3 gr. is a good bit of variation from your targeted charge weight. You need to be much closer than that. The problem with using a powder dispenser is just what you have experienced. Some powders such as flake or ball powders may meter correctly through a dispenser, while the coarser stick powders usually will not, and can give the variation(s) you describe. You can generally get by using a powder thrower (dispenser) for handgun loads, but for serious load development and consistency, with consistency being what you need to strive for, most rifle reloaders use a scale and weigh each charge individually. Once you get the hang of it and become comfortable and more proficient with your loading, it goes a lot quicker. Your powder charge weight is one of the most important things that you can control in the operation, and it needs to be as exact as you can keep it.
.... Don't get discouraged about this stuff.. it's too bad you don't have an experienced coach to be there with you and guide you a bit, but that's what we're here for, and we'll be more than happy to help you along. Sounds like you've got your dies set up OK, and that is a big step also. Keep at it........