HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 1 KEE KEE KREW
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 AM
RockyMtnGobblers
Typical Buck

Default Got my Best Gobbler yet !!

Tue. I checked out the two areas I wanted to for Rios and saw no sign so I headed home for 5 hrs sleep and headed out for some Merriam's in a new area I had not been in but believed it held some turkeys.
I arrived and parked my truck at 730 am and to the believed roost area about 815am.
I thought there was a good chance of finding a gobbler still strutting and soon I found a hen yelping so I followed her hoping she had a tom with her and shortly I found him strutting for her.

I stayed mostly out of sight following what I found was a small flock consisting of 1 big gobbler 1 smaller gobbler several jakes and at least 3 hens. I was busted once by the jakes but I froze and they never sounded the alarm, I was waiting to get ahead of them but never could, I challenged the hen but she never came.
They went up a mountain and I set up by another roost area, they came down but not to me so when they headed into some trees I ran around out of sight and about 125 yards closer so when they came out I could get a shot.
I got my shot when they all came out of the trees and took him down at 40 yards.
Merriam
19 lbs
Beard 9 in
Spurs 1/2 in

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 04-15-2011 at 11:56 AM.