HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What I wish I knew when I got started....
Old 04-13-2011, 08:28 PM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
can ya add up what all your stuff would cost buying it new today. Be cool to see what everyone else would come up with as well...
Oh geez, I'm not sure I'd even be able to guess. I think I spent something along the line of $300 on the basic Rockchucker package in about 1988, which back then didn't include the hand primer. So, at today's prices it's probably somewhere in the $500-$600 range? I've expanded by inventory of calibers since then, so add another $300-$400 for dies, plus another $90 for carbide dies, $180 for the last batch of competition dies. Most of the rest of my stuff's been added in the last 10 years. The very basic chronograph I'm using (a Chrony Alpha) is still running about $100. Caliper ran me about $40, I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of $130 into the Stoney Point/Hornady OAL and Comparator. I think about $70 for the case trimmer. $70 more for the original concentricity gauge I've been using, add another $100 for the new concentricity gauge. I've also added a second Rockchucker press to the bench at $150, as well as a Pro 2000 progressive for about $550. Tumbler at about $75, one of the new sonic cleaners (another test) for $90. The RCBS combination electronic scale/powder dispenser for about $300.

So, in the end, I'm probably looking at having spent somewhere between $2800-$3000 on various tools and equipment, and I'm praying tonight that my wife never reads this!