HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Traditional vs compound
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 03:56 PM
BCRules
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by scottb3472
I'm no bow hunter, but i have always been amazed at many bow hunters attitude about crossbows. The compound bow that they love to shoot and say is more traditional then the crossbow was invented in 1966. The earliest records on the crossbow show it being used in seige warfare around 305 b.c.

Now taking that into consideration, wouldn't that put the crossbow into the "traditional" catagory of bows, given the historical age difference between them?

If you can understand the arguement of the compound vs crossbow with over a 2000 year difference, please explain it to me.
No, problem, I can explain it. Selfbows today are about the exact same was 100's or 1000's of years ago. And are of course traditional. Crossbows of today are nothing like 500AD. If one wants to hunt with a sightless X-gun, with a wooden prod, I say that could be traditional. And I know a few guys who hunt with a medieval crossbow. You of course can't hold the bow at tension very long even with a sinewed prod of elm.

So if a fella has a traditional crossbow, I have very little problem with it. But its a far cry from a 350fps x-gun with laser dots.