HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Knight Rifles does it first.
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Grouse45
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
No problem, i might ad Ron is spot on with his findings. 18-8 does indeed have a higher tensile strength that a grade 5 bolt and the difference between a grade 5 and a 8 is about 30,000. don't know where the 80,000 figure came from,but that is the yield strength for 18-8.in a overloading situation the barrel would go long before the vent liner. so let's all play nice now fella's..Ron has done a lot to help a lot of folks in this sport and when one considers the time involved in it, he's losing money on it. Savages problems with there BP,from what i have read were caused by gas cutting of the BP and not the vent liner. Ray
Maybe i need glasses.

Stainless Steel
Stainless steel is an alloy of low carbon steel and chromium for enhanced corrosion characteristics. Stainless steel is highly corrosion resistant for the price and because the anti-corrosive properties are inherent to the metal, it will not loose this resistance if scratched during installation or use.
It is a common misconception that stainless steel is stronger than regular steel. In fact, due to the low carbon content, stainless steel can not be hardened. Therefore when compared with regular steel it is slightly stronger than an un-hardened (grade 2) steel fastener but significantly weaker than hardened steel fasteners.

I cut and pasted this right off the sight Lane linked to. It clearly states that the stainless is slightly stronger then a grade 2 steel not 5. But significantly weaker then hardened steel.

I just had someone else read this for me. Sorry builder your wrong and so is Ron.