HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 8 Longbeard Mafia
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Nauticstar
Spike

O.K. guys. Exhausted as I type this, but it's part of the responsibility when you get involved in these contests. I just got home from Florida yesterday and leave for Oklahoma tomorrow. So this is my Osceola hunt. Guide drops me off at this 4-way intersection and says the road to the west leads to a food plot that is about 200 yards away. Birds generally roost over a cypress pond behind it and will eventually make their way down this road. It's one way in and one way out so he felt I should sit here and I could put the odds in my favor. They drop people off way too early at this place and it was pitch black dark so I sat against a tree and waited for daylight. About 20 minutes after he left a group of wild hogs squealed really loud behind me which shocked two turkeys into gobbling less than 30 yards behind me. It was pitch black so I decided to grab my stuff and tip toe down the road towards the food plot. I tried to find a place to sit down on the road but it was too thick so I eventually made it to the food plot and turned left and sat down against a tree below a burm where I could see the entrance of the food plot about 25 yards away. At daylight they lit it up gobbling every 30 seconds or so. I called really soft and they cut me every time I touched a call so I put them down and got my gun ready. They flew down into the road and gobbled all the way down the road. The first one came into the field was probably a 2 yr. old and had about a 7-8 inch beard and looked really slim. I waited and could hear the other one drumming and he eventually followed the other one into the field and I let him have it. My hunt lasted less than 30 minutes and I had the second leg of my grand slam. He weighed 18 1/2 lbs. which is really good for an Osceola and had an 11 1/8" beard and 1 1/8" spurs. Great bird for Fl. I spent the rest of my hunt guiding a friend who has never killed a turkey......still. LOL! But we also fished, shot clays, etc...