HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bows...shooting question
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I shot a tournament Saturday--actually shot two rounds (longbow and selfbow), the second not too far behind the first, for a total of 64 targets (plus warm-ups).

I did ok, not great, but my point is my score didn't go down toward the end, or even in the second round--at least not due to bow weight.

I pull [email protected] on my longbow; 64@30 on my selfbow. My selfbow score (shot it second) was 11 points lower than my longbow score, mainly because I didn't spend enough time warming up with it and making the transition.

When I switch from longbow to selfbow, I shoot left for a while. Took me until target 13 before I could hit the "10" with my selfbow, because I kept shooting left.

On the last 9 targets, I shot 7 "tens" in a row. Then we stopped at the next-to-last target and talked a while (had to wait for a group), and when it was my shot I went stupid. One of the easiest shots on the course, I just ran up and shot, and shot right over it....duhhhh.....then I shot an "8" on the last target. Had I stayed on my streak, I would have shot 1 point higher on the second round.

I missed two targets each round. On both, I missed the "bonus"--mis-judged it and shot too hight; and on both I missed one regular shot and both were "gimme" shots...really easy, and I took them for granted and missed. Just plain stupid on my part.

The better archers generally do shoot lighter, and if you are over-bowed it will tell on you, especially when you get tired....but some folks can handle 60+ targets with 60+ lbs, if they practice enough.