HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gobble shakers & Fighting pur calls
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 02:33 PM
trmichels
Fork Horn

Good advice, after 38 years of hunting and 20 years of guidind, one of my axioms about hunting is - "To best way to gat an an il to come to you is to 1. be in a pot it used o, 2, feels comfortable in 3 and is going to anyhow. Then ambuch them when they walk by.

In other words - spend enough time scouitng and obwerving to know the travel routes of the animals you hunt (called patterning), and get to where they are going - before they get there.

Another axiom of mine is is - "If it is too hot, too cloe, too wind , too wet, the light conditins arent' right, or ther are too may predators or too much hunting pressure - the animals aren't going to do what they normally do. So, figure out where they are gog to hold up and go ther, hunt an entirely different area - or stay home.

Personally I'm going to figure ouw were they hold up , nd smek in ther to hujnt them. I'm certainly not going to say home.

Some hunters know very littel about the biology and behavior of the animls, so they do not know wha they lke to eat, where thy like to restr, or waht weather conditions they will nd wont move in. READ some books that teach you about the biology and behvior of the aninals, do you know what they are most likely to do on any given day. There are some great books on game animal biology and behavior, and hunting techniques out there.

Many hunters do not spend enough time patternign aninls to know where they mormally bed and feed. and the travel routes they use between thowe two areas. Spend enough time scouting and observng the animals to be able to predict where they normally travel., where they rest and where they are likely to eat.

Killing the animls is only the culmination of the hunt. Teh fun, and the challenge, is in figuring the animsl habits ot, firurng out where they are, dn then outsmarting them.

give it a try - scouting is a l ot of fun.

God bdless. T..