HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Advice
Thread: Advice
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Buckhound
Spike

Originally Posted by Backwoods7
Ive been turkey hunting for about 7 years now but havent goten one yet while. iwas turkey huntin. They always seem to hang up out of gun range about 75 to 80 yards out is there any trick to get em to come in closer? Also i went scouting friday and found sighn in a couple of places. In the woods i saw a bunch of scratching and a few feathers. But in the edge of this field i saw a ton of droppings. Ive seen turkey in both places in the past but i dont kno where they roost at. Whic location should i try opning morning ill only have untill about noon to hunt so i was hopeing yall could give me some advice so i could maby pop one lol. Thanks
Setup, Setup, the most important although overlooked aspect of tukey hunting.

My opinin, lose the decoys, setup where a turkey must come into gunrange to see you (the calling hen).

Think about it, especially for the novice hunter, if you can see the bird 75-80 yards away, he can see much better than you and can see your position and anything that looks out of place. Sure a deke can at times do the trick, but many times if they can see the deke they are more than content to stay back and strut and puff for the ladies. A tom for the most part is just trying to make sure the hen can see him, as he is used to them coming if intrested? Many times with dekes a tom will do his part, although out of range, then walk away because the hen isn't intrested.This is why I HATE decoys for gunning, not needed. If you find you must use decoys, set them way to your right if the bird is at your left, at least this way if he makes comtact with them and hangs up, he might be in range? Although with a proper setup, and without the use of dekes, the tom will want to make sure the hen (you calling) sees him, he's got to come closer to make contact, then BANG, because your setup put you in range at first contact. It's better to hunt small field of view than larger ones just to see the birds. Good Luck