HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Black Bear Hunting High Mountians in the Spring
Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Wheatley
Nontypical Buck

Default Black Bear Hunting High Mountians in the Spring

With all this talk/posts about black bear hunting I think I am excited to try a spring black bear hunt this year. I have purchased a license to have while fall elk hunting but never concentrated on bear hunting itself.

Some of my questions are what and where to look for them. I want to hunt them spot and stalk. It is legal to bait in Wyoming but I do not want to go that route. I like hiking all over the mountains anyway.

This area generally gets a ton of snow over the winter. Our season is May 1st through June 15th. The elevation ranges from 8200 feet to 11000 feet in elevation where I can hunt them. From what I have read from others is the bears go higher in the summer, but do they find thier dens up high and when they come out in the spring move to lower elevations or do the den up in lower elevations? Should I start up high looking for them or lower in elevation?

What are good areas to look for them. Most of this area is dense forest but there are hill sides with openings and Aspen stands. Some rock slides up higher where I have found wild raspberries in.

I have also heard that early morning and late evening are the better if not only times to locate them. Where do they go during the day??? If that is true I will probably take the whole family on a early season camping trip and just have fun during the day. We all enjoy camping and we normally don't start until late June. This would give us another chance to go have some fun in the mountains.

Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Justin