HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 11 Roost Raiders
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 05:08 PM
JW
Super Moderator

For my friend dog1

Killed 7:35 a.m. this morning, Weighed-23.0 lbs, R. spur-1 an 1 quarter inch, L. spur-1 and 3 eights inch, beard-11 and 3 quarter inches.
Your score is 23 + 12.5 + 13.75 + 23.5 = 72.75

Today was opening day in Georgia. I got in the woods around 5:30 a.m., really no idea where to go, just walked in where I heard a bird a couple weeks ago. At 6:50 a.m. he gobbled about 250 or 300 yards away. Some people say don't call while he's on the roost, but I do, but very softly.

Every other time he gobbled, I called, starting soft, and louder as he got louder. I changed type of calls everyother time he gobbled. I knew when he flew down by the sound of his gobble. I actually thought he was going away from me but he was making sort a half moon arc around me. I had my mouth call in, but didn't use it till I was ready to make the shot. When I finally saw him, I laid all my calls down except the mouth call, and when he got close enough and when he went behind a tree I got my gun up. When he steped out from behind the tree I made a soft cluck with the mouth call, his head went up and the rest is history, he never made a flop.

I must say, when I got home with him I weighed and measure everything 4 times. Weight-23 lbs, beard 11 3/4 inches, R. Spur-1 1/4in., Left spur-1 3/8 in. I must add, the tape measurement pic. of the beard is misleading, when I started measuring his beard it was 11 3/4 inches but it started falling out, guess from pullying on it and the beard actually appears a little shorter. Regardless, I'm proud of him.

Thanks,
dog1